Saturday, April 28, 2018

Day Twenty

Friday, April 27, 2018

Following my dad's route, I came across the most beautiful plain with a winding river running through it and mountain ranges in the near distance. I climbed out of the RV and walked a quarter mile to the prettiest view I could find. I climbed the biggest boulder and just sat there, it my shorts and two jackets, in fifty degree weather. I just sat there and listened to the most beautiful music from my friend, Maria's, youtube channel. I sat there for hours and just my existence was a prayer. I sat there...until my dad called for a ride, and that prayer stayed with me long after I left it.

Crossbearer's Log:
My goal for today was initially walking the last fourteen miles to get to the Nevada border, but my legs were extremely tired and sore so I changed my goal accordingly: ten miles. 
In spite the changes to my goal, everything seemed to be in my favor today starting with a slight downhill grade most of the way. As the Irish blessing says, the wind was at my back the whole way making my walk nice and cool. 
Walk for the day started at 8:35 A.M. at the entrance to the Hope Valley Campground, and I walked a little over ten miles with the river running alongside the road the entire way. I soon arrived at Woodfords -- a stop for the Pony Express for the few years it was in operation. At Woodfords, I decided to take a detour off of Highway 88 and onto the Emigrant Trail (the trail that the settlers and fortune seekers (gold) used going to California. It was nice getting off the highway and, thankfully, it added very little distance to the walk. The Emigrant Trail was a peaceful one, and it dropped me off on Highway 88 about a mile and a half away from the Nevada state line.
Five hours later, I arrived at the Nevada border at 1:35 P.M. 
It has been twenty days walking through California for a total of 204 miles. Three of those twenty days were downtime due to sickness. Today, however, I finally got a little ahead of schedule - those four extra miles. 
One state down, ten states and the District of Columbia to go. 
Coordinates:
Beginning:
N 38°45.0857'
W 119°56.5213'
Elevation: 7,115 feet
Course: NNW 327 T

Ending:
N 38°50.9096'
W 119°46.7351'
Elevation: 4,834 feet
Course: N 0 T

No comments:

Post a Comment