Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Day Three

Tuesday, April 10, 2018
Feast of Saint Ezekiel

Driving along the route today surprised me tremendously with all the roads dad had to walk along. Most had trails or sidewalks but Bailey Street left me feeling troubled for my dad. It's difficult not to worry when there is no shoulder to walk on and the roads are windy -- creates a situation where it's easy for things to go wrong. I was in awe of that mountain, though. It felt like Ireland...smelled like California.

Crossbearer's Log:

Walked from the Civic Center Park in Walnut Creek, California to Antioch, California from 11 A.M. top 5:40 P.M. totaling 17.2 miles for the day. Felt good today and, thankfully, everything went well; a surprising number of people honked their horns at me in approval today. One lady gave me a twenty dollar bill, so I told her I would get it to the Knights of Columbus as a donation to buy sonogram machines for pro-life clinics. 
Things were easy until I got to Bailey Street. As I was admiring the beautiful mountain before me, I soon realized that stunning view came with a price. The next four miles were steep hill climbs with no shoulder. Every time a car drove by, I had to jump off the road into a shallow dip alongside the road. When the car passed, I jumped back on the road until the next car drove by. Boy, was I grateful to see the end of Bailey Street. 
After Bailey Street, I walked for four more hours through Pittsburg and eventually into Antioch, California. 

Today's Coordinates:
Beginning:
N 37°54.2090'
W 122°3.5838'
Elevation: 118 ft.
Course: S 178 T

Ending:
N 38°0.0724'
W 121°50.6676'
Elevation: 56
Course: Stationary

No comments:

Post a Comment