Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Companions on the Journey

April 8, 2018: Divine Mercy Sunday
Feast Day of  Saint Julie Billiart

My brother, Daniel, joined the troupe! He's the map guy. We desperately needed a map guy because otherwise it would have been a chaotic journey. Being the map guy meant texting me the directions of dad's route every morning until he could program the route onto the satellite phones. The map needs to be pre-programmed and uploaded onto the phones from a computer, and Daniel had to teach us how to use them! Having Daniel was also nice because I went south a bit to spend time with my dearest friend whilst Daniel followed my dad, kept him nourished, and drove him back to Sacramento at the end of the day.


Crossbearer's Log:
Began walk at 10 A.M. at the Civic Center Plaza in Downtown San Francisco. Walked two miles down Market Street to the Port of San Francisco and six miles on the ferry to the Port of Oakland.  
From the Port of Oakland, I walked twelve miles up steep and grueling hills for the next five and a half hours. Most people in San Francisco and Oakland have seen just about everything. Most people just ignored me, a few got in my face to spew hatred toward Christ, and others were supportive.  
From watching television and talking to people, we all have preconceived notions of different parts of the country and what they, and the people in them, will be like. I expected most people to me indifferent and disrespectful, but I found the walk to be enjoyable and the hills of Oakland extremely trying. 
I was enjoying time with my best friend and her incredible family, but my brother enjoyed following my dad. He sat and read his book at different stops. He walked a couple of miles with my dad, though, when it was an option. I love that we got to begin the journey in Daniel's area because, not only was he unbelievably useful, but it's just a hopeful start to what will be a long, tough nine month trek across the country.


Today's Coordinates:
Beginning
N 37°46.8107'
W 122°25.1874'
Elevation: 137 ft.
Course: NNW 341 T

Ending
N 37°49.6395'
W 122°7.3899'
Elevation: 525 ft.
Course: Stationary






No comments:

Post a Comment