Friday, April 27, 2018

Day Nineteen

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Crossbearer's Log:
We left our base hotel in Pioneer, California after three days of stay. Started walking at 7:35 A.M. with an immediate  three mile downhill stretch. At the bottom of that hill, I had to climb again until I reached Caples Lake, elevation 7,804 feet, which was still iced over. After the lake, I started another downhill stretch before beginning the final ascent to a summit with an elevation of over 8,700 feet. The Summit is Red Lake Peak and looked over a frozen Red Lake.
From here on out, the walk is downhill, level, or slight inclines. The last two weeks have been rough with falling sick and all the climbing. I'm hoping the next two weeks will allow me to make enough progress to get ahead of schedule.
Today was an exceptionally beautiful day, beginning downhill, cool, breezy, with an occasional hard climb, but not eight or ten miles like in previous days. The scenery was literally breathtaking, and I finished four and a half hours later for a total of 13.2 miles for the day.
Toward the end of my day, a man named Bobbie Hutton approached me on foot. He resembles the man who plays the cowbells at the Bataan Memorial Death March every year, with shoulder length curly hair. He parked his car a little further up the road and asked if he could walk with me. He told me he had seen me walking for the last three days, and he just had to stop and find out why I was walking. He worked for a Christian Youth Summer Camp in the mountains, and I really appreciated the company. Thanks to him, the next 600 meters went my quickly.
Overall, a really great day. However, I am tired and my legs are hurting. I'm praying for a cool day tomorrow to help me get to the Nevada border, fourteen miles away. 


Today's Coordinates:
 Beginning:
N 38°42.3590'
W 120°6.2345'
Elevation: 7,959 ft.
Course: N 356 T

Ending:
N 38°45.0857'
W 119°56.5213'
Elevation: 7,115 feet
Course: NNW 327 T


No comments:

Post a Comment