Thursday, December 13, 2018

Day One Hundred Twenty-Three

Day One Hundred Twenty-Three
Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Crossbearer's Log:

Today has been a great and challenging day, starting at the Covered Wagon Motel in Lusk, WY. We drove to Highway 20, mile marker 52, walked approximately three miles before I encountered road construction. The road construction re-routed me, so I followed the rail road service road for four miles. Where the railroad met Highway 20, I had to climb up to the overpass over a shaky barbed wire fence to join Ann. She drove me 5.2 miles to the Nebraska border. In Nebraska, I walked along Highway 20 to mile marker five during the day and walked around Harrison, NE where we are staying at the Sage Motel. I walked the 5.2 miles I couldn't walk when I passed the construction zone. At 7:00 P.M. we drove to mile marker five and walked to mile marker six where I marked the coordinates for the day.

I am now three miles west of Harrison, NE. Temperatures were in the high 80's.

Today's Distance: 17.7 miles

Total Distance: 988.1

*I forgot to count the distance I walked on July 8, so my total distance is actually 1,000.1 miles.

Note: The most interesting thing that happened to me today was while I was walking the last mile in the evening. A red car drove past me, turned around, and a young woman (25-30 years old) got out, crossed the street, and handed me a liter of Aquavista water. I introduced myself and learned her name was Shota (Show-ta), an Ogalla Sioux. I told her about my 26 years in Tohatchi, NM teaching on the Navajo Reservation, and I promised to pray for her.

The greatest part of being a pilgrim is the kindness and faith you experience in others. Her last words to me were, "stay hydrated."

No comments:

Post a Comment